Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Adding "dangerous" checks?

From: "Michael Pattrick" <mpattrick () rhinovirus org>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 12:44:21 -0500

On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 7:25 AM, Ron <ron () skullsecurity net> wrote:
I'm more worried about crashing systems myself

I cant comment on the legallity, but from [0]:
intrusive
    These are scripts that cannot be classified in the safe category because the risks
are too high that they will crash the target system, use up significant resources on
the target host (such as bandwidth or CPU time), or otherwise be perceived as
malicious by the target's system administrators.
vuln
    These scripts check for specific known vulnerabilities and generally only report
results if they are found.

Since these categories pretty much state that they will cause damage
to the target, I think it is ok to create a script that crashes a host
as long as it is labeled properly.

Cheers,
Michael

[0] http://nmap.org/book/nse-usage.html#nse-categories