Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Adding "dangerous" checks?

From: Ron <ron () skullsecurity net>
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2008 06:25:42 -0600

Richard Sammet wrote:
Hi Ron,

how about using the check method/function from the metasploit exploit
module for this "bug"?

http://metasploit.com/svn/framework3/trunk/modules/exploits/windows/smb/ms08_067_netapi.rb

the actual licens should be fine with nmap's - please correct me if i
am wrong on this one.

as of "Oct-10-2008 Metasploit 3.2 BSD Licensing (hdm)"
(http://metasploit.com/blog/) everything should be fine....

best regards,
richard

That one's based on the Python one I'm looking at. Somewhere (I forget if it's in the exploit itself or in HD's post to the mailing list) he mentioned the same two issues -- possible Nessus heritage and crashing systems.

I'm more worried about crashing systems myself -- I don't think licensing applies to the traffic, if you aren't using their code. But IANAL, of course.

Ron