Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: "\r\r" in script output

From: "Michael Pattrick" <mpattrick () rhinovirus org>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2008 17:02:50 -0400

On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 3:35 PM, David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com> wrote:
On Windows that's appending "\r\n" to the end of every line of script
output. But I think Windows automatically converts "\n" to "\r\n" for
text streams (such as stdout), so perhaps it's becoming "\r\r\n".
Indeed, in the debugging output Fyodor made for me there are lines like

"In text mode, carriage return–linefeed combinations are translated
into single linefeeds on input, and linefeed characters are translated
to carriage return–linefeed combinations on output." [0]

"b - Open in binary (untranslated) mode; translations involving
carriage-return and linefeed characters are suppressed."

I found this out the hard way last year.

Cheers,
Michael

[0] http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/yeby3zcb(vs.71).aspx