Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [NSE] Multiple return values from action. Scripts without id.

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2008 23:12:25 -0700

On Sat, Aug 09, 2008 at 06:43:41PM -0600, Patrick Donnelly wrote:
On Sat, Aug 9, 2008 at 4:54 PM, jah <jah () zadkiel plus com> wrote:

The script has an id and there's nothing wrong with the filename
(matches the entry in scripts.db).   It seems that when action() returns
two results it somehow messes with the Lua stack (or something like
that) and process_getScriptId() in nse_main.cc results in script abortion.

Great work in tracking this down, Jah!  I'm glad that Patrick has
applied your patch to prevent showSMTPVersion from returning multiple
values.  But we should fix the underlying problem.  A script returning
multiple values should not silently cause mysterious corruption
elsewhere in NSE.  Anyone have ideas as to the best way to fix this?

Cheers,
-F