Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: NMAP scripts

From: jah <jah () zadkiel plus com>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 04:25:35 +0100

On 14/08/2008 10:16, adam.bull () bt com wrote:
Hi guys

Not a fault as such more of a question / recommendation, I want to be able to run the nmap script WHOIS and harvest a
list of IP addresses in a range but I don't want to connect to the targets at all - just run the script!.

I've looked through the help file and there's seems to be no way I can just run the script without having to at least
ping or send a "-sS -p80" is it possible to run the script without having to make any connection to the target kinda
the opposite what nmap was built for but hey.
Hi Adam,

At presently, I believe that there isn't a way to run an NSE script
without scanning/pinging a target.  NSE scripts depend on nmap for their
targets (and some functionality not found in LUA) so it would require a
good deal of hacking to run the script apart from nmap - you'd be better
off scripting something with perl Net::Whois or some java-based command
line client <http://www.skytouch.com/soft/java/whois.html>.

Perhaps you'd be willing to scan your targets with a spoofed public IP
address.  Something along the lines of

nmap <target> -sS -p80 --max-retries 0 -n -PN -e <your-interface-name>
-S 66.249.67.205 -v --script whois

Regards,

jah