Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [NSE] whois.nse

From: jah <jah () zadkiel plus com>
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2008 03:00:08 +0100

On 06/08/2008 07:54, Brandon Enright wrote:
Sorry for the poor reply quality, I only have my phone right now.

Regarding the IPv6 /32 cache,  you should probably cache at /48 as
that is the size being assinged to organizations.  /32s are going to
RiRs -- and being chopped into 65536 /48s.  Seems like a more logical
cache boundary to me.

Brandon

Sent from my phone

Thanks for the info Brandon.  You nudged me into looking at the ripe and
apnic database files in which I've found that combined, there are 8580
/48 assignments and 9875 at /64 or smaller.  It does look like there's a
good case for reducing the size of cached ranges for IPv6 and possibly
as far as /64.

I also found that Ripe has allocated 5 single host assignments:
2A01:2F0F:FFFF:FFFF:0100:1000::1/128
2A01:2F0F:FFFF:FFFF:0100:2000::1/128
2A01:2F0F:FFFF:FFFF:0300:1000::1/128
2A01:2F0F:FFFF:FFFF:0300:2000::1/128
2A01:2F0F:FFFF:FFFF:0300:3000::1/128

These belong to an LIR which has been assigned 2A01:2000::/20. We'd
never find these records unless we scanned the targets individually -
since the records for hosts either side are in the /20.  Bad for the
whois script, but great if you want to find IPv6 hosts to scan - just
grep through the database files!

Perhaps we should enforce /128 for IPv6.  What's the chances of people
scanning ranges of IPv6 hosts anyway?  It's not as if anyone would be
crazy enough to do a Worldscan, would they?

Regards,

jah