Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Ncat: Update and Feature Request

From: Kris Katterjohn <katterjohn () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 15:58:13 -0500

Aaron Leininger wrote:
OK, I've been working on the HTTP proxy stuff.  --http-proxy and --proxy-auth
were both broken.

Your user:pass syntax should be good, it's just that Ncat was trying to copy
it without allocating any memory for it... I haven't tested the authentication
against an actual proxy, but I've run the Base64-encoded string generated for
the proxy request through a decoder and it came out right.

And the HTTP proxy stuff was broken because it was trying to "CONNECT" to the
proxy server through the target host rather than the other way around.

I've committed fixes for these, so if you can try it out and let me know how
it goes, that would be great.

I went to your sourceforge link and I didn't see any newer version than I had before(0.10.rc3)
I have debian on my box so I used apt-get to install svn. I tried: $svn checkout svn://svn.insecure.org/ncat and got:
connection refused. How do I check out the code? I'm kinda new to using svn.

Sorry, the SF.net link was just to provide a place to get other information,
not to provide the new stuff.

The command for checking out the newest code:

$ svn co --username guest --password "" svn://svn.insecure.org/ncat

Maybe there's a firewall in place blocking SVN (port 3690) with RSTs or some such?

One more thing I will add is that ncat -h does not show the -ssl option though it is listed in the man page.

Does the --ssl option work?  --ssl, --ssl-cert and --ssl-key should all be in
the -h output if they're compiled in.

Did you do a "make clean" before your make?  Maybe your Ncat binary was built
from the previous object files without OpenSSL support because they weren't
removed/written over.

I had not done a make clean. I reran(on version 0.10.rc3):
$./configure
$make clean
$make
$make install
I ran 'ncat -h' from the source directory to make sure I had the right binary. Still no listing of the -ssl commands
I then tested: './ncat --ssl mysslhost 10000' (port 10000 is running ssl enabled html)
It successfully connected to the ssl port on mysslhost and reported back the correct html code.
I ran './ncat mysslhost 10000' just to be sure and got back nothing so it seems that the --ssl worked properly yet it
doesn't display with -h.

Again, the 0.10.rc3 from SF.net does not contain the new stuff, but rather
Chris' stuff from January 2006.

Sorry again for the confusion.

Thanks,
Aaron