Nmap Development mailing list archives

Minor bug in nmap_dns.cc

From: "Mike pattrick" <mpattrick () rhinovirus org>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 21:12:47 -0400

Hey everyone,

David pointed this out to me:
* DNS caching currently assigns buckets in a hash table based on the
MOST significant byte in the address.  But it should be the least
specific one, or use a simple hashing algorithm which considers the
whole address.

This lead to the cached values of a range like 10.0.0.0/8 all being
placed in the same hash table element on little endian platforms.

Attached is a small patch to fix this, special thanks to David for
helping my sort out and properly test my buggy first patch, teaching
me how the respective functions work, authoring most of this patch,
and etc.

Cheers,
Michael Pattrick