Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: nmap ends prematurely with a segfault

From: jah <jah () zadkiel plus com>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 02:01:54 +0000

On 18/10/2007 22:35, David Fifield wrote:
On Thu, Oct 18, 2007 at 03:37:17PM -0500, DePriest, Jason R. wrote:

On 10/18/07, David Fifield  wrote:

On Thu, Oct 18, 2007 at 03:15:21PM -0500, DePriest, Jason R. wrote:

I run nmap like this:
sudo nmap -v -sSUV -O -pT:-,U:[1-65535] --traceroute --reason
--script=discovery,safe,backdoor,vulnerability,malware --script-trace
-d6 xxx.yyy.zzz.190,153,193,89

and after some time, it eventually ends with a segfault.

Seriously, it ends with a simple "Segmentation fault" and nothing else
to help explain from where the segfault came.

I've been investigating a segfault that I found with --script=discovery.
Do these two commands segfault for you too?

nmap --script=ripeQuery.nse localhost
nmap -6 whois.ripe.net

Do you know of any tests I can for you that wouldn't require my nmap
system to have Internet access?

Sorry, that's all I have for now.

David Fifield

I have a hunch that this may be down to nse's
IpOps.isPrivate(ip_address) which might not handle ipv6 addresses very
well.  I can't actually test this hunch, but I've tried to create a NSE
connection to "localhost" on windows and received the message:
IPv6 address passed to nsock_connect_* call, but nsock was not compiled
w/IPv6 support

ripeQuery (and my whois script) uses isPrivate in its hostrule.

jah