Nmap Development mailing list archives

RE: nmap fails to scan under vista

From: "Rob Nicholls" <robert () everythingeverything co uk>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 04:19:47 -0000

I haven't spotted any -sP problems with 4.50 on either XP or Vista (I get
replies from hosts that I know have ping enabled). I can run bob's command
without any trouble, on Vista against my local LAN (ARP Ping) and against
hosts across the internet, and on XP against scanme.nmap.org. My systems are
fully patched, although one Vista machine appeared to still be running
WinPcap 4.0.0 (it doesn't appear to act any differently to Vista with
WinPcap 4.0.2).

Microsoft's patches this month only affected:
MS07-063: vulnerability in SMBv2
MS07-064: two vulnerabilities in Microsoft DirectX
MS07-065: vulnerability in Message Queuing (incorrectly validates input
strings before passing the strings to a buffer)
MS07-066: vulnerability in Windows Kernel (Windows Advanced Local Procedure
Call improperly validates certain conditions in legacy reply paths)
MS07-067: vulnerability in Macrovision Driver
MS07-068: vulnerability in Windows Media File Format
MS07-069: security update for Internet Explorer

So it's unlikely those patches would affect nmap/WinPcap. All but two of
them address specific problems in applications/services that AFAIK aren't at
all related to nmap/WinPcap. As for the remaining two: the Windows Kernel
one only affects Vista, and the Message Queuing one only affects 2000 and XP
(2003 and Vista are unaffected).

I'm assuming that the correct response is seen when running

ping scanme.nmap.org

From the Windows Command Prompt.

If Wireshark really does work fine, it'd be interesting to know if you can
see a response come back in Wireshark when running -sP in nmap and if the
packet trace differs in nmap (i.e. it doesn't spot the response that you see
in Wireshark).

Rob