Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [NSE Script] MySQL Server Information

From: Thomas Buchanan <tbuchanan () thecompassgrp net>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 14:38:00 -0600

Rob Nicholls wrote:
The "sa" account (often setup with a blank password because the setup file
for 2000 doesn't make much effort to stop you) is a default account used by
MS SQL, not MySQL, so any checks would go into an MSSQL script (Thomas has
already written a "Microsoft SQL Server information gathering script"). A
check for a blank password might be okay (and possibly the password "sa"?),
but nmap probably isn't the best place to test for passwords, and I suspect
people would like to avoid accidentally locking out accounts or potentially
cause a denial of service (for any service).

Thanks for the mention, Rob.  The MSSQLm.nse script that currently ships
with Nmap 4.50 does check for 'sa' with a blank password.  I also have a
patch for that script that extends it to check for 'sa' with password =
'password', but I haven't had a chance to send that to the list yet.

I've also been working on a script to check for MySQL (not Microsoft
SQL) servers with user = 'root', and either a blank password, or
password = 'password'.  However, that script isn't quite ready for
primetime, especially since it relies on some NSE functionality that
hasn't been integrated into mainline code yet (see
http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2007/q4/0472.html )

A bit off-topic, but if you're interested in checking a service for "easy"
passwords, you might want to try a dedicated tool such as hydra:
http://freeworld.thc.org/thc-hydra/

I'd second this suggestion.  Hydra is a wonderful tool for finding
common passwords to a large number of different network services.

Thomas