Nmap Development mailing list archives

RE: Nmap 4.23RC3 & SSL Tunnels

From: "Thomas Buchanan" <TBuchanan () thecompassgrp net>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2007 11:57:43 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From: nmap-dev-bounces () insecure org
[mailto:nmap-dev-bounces () insecure org] On Behalf Of Lionel Cons
Sent: Friday, December 07, 2007 4:46 AM
To: Kris Katterjohn
Cc: nmap-dev () insecure org; Fyodor; Thomas Buchanan
Subject: Re: Nmap 4.23RC3 & SSL Tunnels

Kris Katterjohn writes:
 > What about something general like this:
 >
 > <linkedwith>
 > <library name="openssl" version="[version]" />
 > <library name="libpcap" version="[version]" />
 > <library name="libpcre" version="[version]" />
 > <!-- etc -->
 > </linkedwith>

Fine by me.

Lionel

How does the attached patch (against SVN r6441) look?  It prints the
library versions for libpcap, libpcre, liblua (if included) and openssl
(if included).

Some questions that I had:

1.  Where should the output go in the XML file?  I put it right after
the verbosity / debugging information.

2.  What level of verbosity / debugging should be required to include
this information?  The patch reflects my opinion that it should be
included at debugging >=1.

3.  I make no guarantees that the patch to nmap.dtd is even remotely
correct.  I don't use the XML output on a regular basis, so that effort
was just best-guess.

4.  Should any other library versions be reported?  I thought maybe
libdnet, but I couldn't see a very clean way to do that.  The library
version is defined in (autogenerated) config.h and Makefile, and to be
honest, I didn't feel like messing with it.

I have tested the attached patch on Windows and Linux, and it seems to
work for me.

Thomas