Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: xmloutputversion change

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 11:28:28 -0800

On Wed, Nov 28, 2007 at 01:52:31PM -0500, Max wrote:
Great suggestion, I cannot count the times I have been surprised by
XML schema changes that broke Nmap::Scanner, including now :p, I
obviously need to now update my module as it will have broken again
with the new release if I am understanding correctly :).

Hi Max.  What change in the new release breaks Nmap::Scanner?  It is
somewhat rare that we change the existing tags or attributes.  What we
do much more regularly is add new ones.  I'm no XML expert, but can
you structure your system to just ignore unrecognized tags (like html
does)?

My concern with changing xmloutputversion is that the dtd specifies an
exact version (1.01) so older Nmap output won't match the newer dtd
and vice versa.  Maybe the DTD could be changed to only look at the
major version number (e.g. 1) rather than minor (1.01).

If you have suggestions for making things easier for XML parsers, I'm
happy to hear them.

Cheers,
-F