Nmap Development mailing list archives

xmloutputversion change

From: Lionel Cons <lionel.cons () cern ch>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 11:53:10 +0100

I've tried nmap-4.23RC2 and noticed that the XML output format changed
significantly. In order to help programs that deal with XML files from
different Nmap versions, I would suggest to increase xmloutputversion from
1.01 to 1.02.

As a general rule, I would suggest to increase xmloutputversion each time
there is a change in the XML output format. To my understanding, this is the
purpose of this element. This is different from the Nmap version, which
could change without affecting the XML output format.

If the change is minor (backward compatible, like adding new elements), only
the decimal part should be increased, like now. If the change is major (not
backward compatible), the integral part should be increased (e.g. 1.02 ->
2.00).

Cheers,

Lionel Cons