Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Nmap 4.22SOC7 Error on Vista

From: "Eddie Bell" <ejlbell () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 19:30:54 +0100

Thought I'd fixed this but don't have vista so was a little handicapped :)

Should be getting a copy next week if no one fixes it before then.

- eddie

On 21/10/2007, DePriest, Jason R. <jrdepriest () gmail com> wrote:
On 10/20/07, Alan Jones  wrote:
I have done some more searching, but not found much. I saw Fyodor
commented in September that 4.22SOC7 should have fixes for Vista.
http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2007/q4/0030.html  Unfortunately the fix
may not have done everything.

I have WinPcap-Nmap 4.01 installed (never had anything older installed),
but the command line says the following....
nmap -v scanme.nmap.org
WARNING: Could not import all necessary WinPcap functions.  You may need
to upgrade to version 3.1 or higher from http://www.winpcap.org.
Resorting to connect() mode -- Nmap may not function completely

Starting Nmap 4.22SOC7 ( http://insecure.org ) at 2007-10-20 08:28
Central Daylight Time

Is there a difference between Nmap's WinPcap and standard WinPCap?  I
saw there were comments in WinPcaps forums that Wireshark had a modified
WinPcap.  It can get scary when different groups want their own modified
versions of standard things like WinPcap.

thanks for your thoughts on this...

alan

I think the main difference between the winpcap from the winpcap site
and the winpcap that comes with nmap is that nmap uses its own
installer to install winpcap.

They both use the same dll files.

There may still be some differences between the install logic between
nmap and winpcap but I was pretty sure all those things had been
worked out.

-Jason