Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [patch] nse-pcap, second try.

From: majek04 <majek04+nmap-dev () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 11:56:24 +0200

On 4/30/07, Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org> wrote:
Thanks, Marek.  This certainly takes NSE in an interesting direction.
From your promiscuous.nse and p0f.nse it seems that you have already
picked up LUA quite well.  p0f.nse in particular is quite involved.  I
need to study this more.  We would be interested in hearing what
changes you would suggest for NSE to make scripts easier to write,
more consice, more powerful, etc.  NSE is a primary focus for this
summer.

Well, there are some issues considering NSE.

First of all I developed wrapper for dnet. It's very simple code, but it also
introduces question about compatibility. Currently only sending raw
ethernet packets is supported (I needed this for promiscuous scan).
We should create layer that should send packets also on other links.

If we're talking about programming in Lua, I must admit it's fun :)
As you can see, everything can be done inside p0f.nse (no need to write
custom patches to C code). It can be interesting to compare speed of
my lua code that parses tcp/ip packets compared to implementation in C
:)

As far as I understand there will be some kind of Lua standard library?
It'll be good to move common code to some kind of shared lib, but it needs to
have good, stable api.

Cheers.
 Marek Majkowski