Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [NSE] Raw sockets support

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 16:37:07 -0800

On Fri, Dec 15, 2006 at 09:45:14PM +0100, majek04 wrote:

Integrating some pcap/dnet features into nsock makes sense only if pcap descriptors
could be used in the same 'select()' as nsock descriptors.

If I'm not wrong we're left with only two options
 -  running pcap_next in other thread than nsock_loop or
 -  running pcap_next after nsock_loop with very short timeouts.
    The problem here is that pcap timeouts are broken. The alternative
    would be to set pcap descriptor in nonblocking mode. But I don't
    know if it's portable.

Nmap tends to avoid threads (doesn't use them for anything else).  So
I'd use #2 (on those platforms which aren't select()able), and select
on those that are (like the Nmap readip_pcap code does).

Cheers,
-F