Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Scanning Printers

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 17:13:46 -0700

On Tue, Sep 26, 2006 at 03:29:45PM -0700, doug () hcsw org wrote:
As you realise, the entire practice of skipping version detection on certain
ports opens up a small hole. Hiding daemons on these ports potentially
becomes somewhat easier - except obviously not against intelligent users
like yourself who understand this. :)

I don't know of any other common uses for these ports and see no reason
to not add them to the default Exclude directive.

I agree with Doug and have extended the Exclude range for the next
version to cover 9100-9107.  I have also updated nmap-services to scan
those ports by default.

Thanks for noting the issue, Hari.

Cheers,
-F