Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Scanning Printers

From: Hari Sekhon <hpsekhon () googlemail com>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 18:31:52 +0100

Fyodor wrote:
On Tue, Sep 26, 2006 at 04:56:59PM +0100, Hari Sekhon wrote:

However, I've noticed a problem now that I've put this into production.
When it scans a network printer, the printer spews out garbage, I have a
couple wads of paper on my desk with one or two lines of garbage at the
top of each page.

What version of Nmap are you using?  Does this happen with 4.11?  It
excludes port 9100 from version detection by default (per the Exclude
line in nmap-service-probes) for this reason.  You can still specify
--allports if you truly do want to scan everything (and deal with
those gobs of printed paper).

Cheers,
-F

Nmap 4.01.

Does Nmap 4.11 exclude only port 9100 or does it exclude others ports as
well.

I have found that 4.01 correctly guesses 9100 as JetDirect but doesn't
know ports 9101-9107 which also seem to do exactly the same thing....
they print literally whatever junk including control characters that you
send to them.

Does Nmap 4.11 exclude ports 9101-9107 as well? If not then I can just
do specify ports like -p 1-9099,9109-65535 to get around this (I've
already tested and it works, no printing).

If it doesn't skip 9100-9107 then perhaps this is something to change in
the next version?

I'd like to know if Nmap skips any other ports for safety or any other
reason so that I can be aware of what is missing. I am getting Nmap 4.11
now to try it out.

Thanks.

-h

ps. Thank you very much for Nmap, it's been a favourite program of mine
for a long time.

--
Hari Sekhon