Nmap Development mailing list archives

Nikto-NSE 1.0 released

From: Kevin Johnson <kjohnson () secureideas net>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 23:41:30 -0400

First, we would like to thank Sullo for Nikto and Fyoder for nmap.
Both of these programs
have seen WAY to much use here. ; )  we also want to say what a great
job Diman has done
with the NSE extension to nmap, and we can't wait until it is in the
final release.

When the NSE code started coming out to the list, we were excited
about what this meant
and rushed out and grabbed it to try out.  Of course running the
sample scripts weren't enough
for nerds like us so we started playing with the lua scripts and
looking to write our own.
So what do you use to test out the functionality and to have
something to verify our results?
Nikto came to mind immediately.  So we built a simple NSE script that
would check for one
of the problems that Nikto checks for and things worked out pretty well.

Of course, we are lazy and couldn't see generating the 3000+ NSE
scripts that would be
needed to start and check what Nikto already does.  So Nikto-NSE was
born.

Nikto-NSE (nNSE) will take the scan database file from Nikto, or a
file formatted the same way,
and generate the NSE scripts needed.  nNSE will also allow you to
generate only the scripts
for a particular category or group of categories.  Since most people
can't recite the category
list from Nikto, at least Kevin can't, it also has an option to
generate a list of them for the user
to choose from.

We hope that someone finds this useful and are looking for what ever
feedback you all may have!

The script is available from our Sourceforge site.  ( http://
sourceforge.net/projects/sectools )

Thanks again