Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Generating Graphical Diagrams/Maps from Nmap output

From: magnus () linuxtag org (Nils Magnus)
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 15:04:17 +0200

Re,

On Tue, May 23, 2006 at 07:54:22PM -0400, Sina Bahram wrote:

For example: couldn't minimum  spanning trees be used to isolate
subnets if the initial graph is setup correctly?

This is less a question of graphing layout algorithms but much more a
question of data structures.

I don't mean graphs in the visual sense, well I kind of do. I'm speaking of
computer science graphing algorithms as in kruskal, breath first search,
depth first search, minimum spanning tree, and so forth.

Once again, regardless of the purpose, this subject is less a question
of graphing than to have proper data structures. Most networks I work
with and which I scan are pretty easy in terms of their graph structure.

There might be reasons to have tools to calculate some graph alogrithm
based results like connectivity to a number of hosts with distance n,
computing a hull and so on, but

1/ this should be done externally or in the scripting language, and
2/ this relys on having proper data structures.

Tools like cheops lack such data structures (at least from an exterior
user's point of view, haven't inspected the code itself) and use a too
simplified model of networked nodes, interfaces, and networks.

Regards,

Nils Magnus
Program-Chair LinuxTag 2006 Free Conference Program

LinuxTag 2006: Where .com meets .org - magnus () linuxtag org