Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: nmap -P0 reboots Windows XP

From: Kris Katterjohn <kjak () ispwest com>
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2006 15:20:48 -0600

Loris Degioanni wrote:
Let's try to clarify a bit.

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL is one of the most common Windows kernel
bugchecks, and  doesn't normally have anything to do with corrupted
memory. It just tells you "one of the component of the OS kernel, most
probably a driver, did something wrong, and therefore the OS will stop".

The most probable cause of the error, if this happens while you use
nmap, is the kernel driver that nmap uses to send and receive raw
network frames, i.e. WinPcap's NPF.sys. In most cases, in fact, you can
see if the fault is in winpcap by checking if around the bottom of the
blue screen you see somewhere "npf.sys".

If the fault is in winpcap, first of all you should make sure you are
using the latest version of the driver, which can be found at
http://www.winpcap.org/install/default.htm. If the problem persists with
the latest version, you can report the bug to the developers as
explained at http://www.winpcap.org/contact.htm, under "Need to report a
bug?".

Loris

For some reason the reboots aren't happening as often as before. It took quite
a few tries (like 8 where it used to be 1-2) before I got it to reboot.
Anyway, I got the BSOD but it doesn't have any .sys file on there. Also,
something I think it weird, it says:

Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete

...without anything in between!

The main reason I thought it was the RAM was because I read on the internet
that it results from hardware failure, and on the error message it says to
make sure any new hardware is installed correctly. The RAM is the only thing
I've installed on that box.

Thanks,
Kris