Nmap Development mailing list archives

RE: nmap -P0 reboots Windows XP

From: "Sean Warnock" <swarnock () warnocksolutions com>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 07:42:51 -0800

        Doh, two e-mails to the list in one day this may be a record for
me.  The biggest thing I have had for failing RAM in PC's though has
been to run memory test overnight.  This gives the PC plenty of time to
heat cycle.  Sometimes it just take a few hours and a module will start
failing.
Down the lines of Mike's comments you might consider trying out
Microsoft's memory diagnostic (yes it is free and you don't need to have
a validated copy of windows).  It might use a different set of patterns
for testing that match up better with Windows.
http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

Sean