Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re[2]: Nmap GUI

From: digmet <digmet () mail ru>
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2005 01:38:15 +0400

Hello, Etaoin.

Sunday, June 5, 2005, 8:58:44 PM, you wrote:
ES> For nmap users, the command line should always be an acceptable
ES> alternative.
0. Yes.
Nmap should always provide command line version for power users.

ES> I can see the nicety of a GUI, but catering to the popular
ES> desktop of the week is not something that commercial products do. No sense
ES> in having a product which is comprised of free source, and (for the most
ES> part) volunteer support, attempt to provide answers which products like ISS
ES> do not.
1. No.
1.0. Please, read this paragraph:
http://www.joelonsoftware.com/uibook/chapters/fog0000000058.html
Citation:
“When a new user sits down to use a program, they do not come with a completely clean slate. They have some
expectations of
how they think the program is going to work. If they've used similar software before, they will think it's going to work
like that other software. If they've used any software before, they are going to think that your software conforms to
certain common conventions. They may have intelligent guesses about how the UI is going to work. This is called the user
model: it is their mental understanding of what the program is doing for them.”

1.1. Successful windows program should be with GUI.
1.2. GUI must be windows_explorer_like or microsoft_office_like
1.3. Successful Gnome program should be Gnome_like.
1.4. Attention! I don’t say ms_office_skinned, Gnome_skinned I say ms_office_like, gnome_like.

t> I am sure many Windows users would really appreciate access to a good GUI
t> for Nmap.
1.
Yes.
GUI increases number of users! Greatly!
ES> Pardon my cynicism, but I believe that the statement should read "A windows
ES> GUI will increase the number of people who do not understand how to use
ES> nmap, and therefore will increase the number of questions to this list
ES> which would better be answered by a decent networking book."

2. Most of users stupid. Most of programmers clever. Programs for users.
3.
http://www.insecure.org/nmap/GoogleGrants.html
Citation:
“...Windows is probably the second most popular platform for running Nmap ...”
4. Most of windows users -- windows admins.
5. User model (see 1.0.) of windows admin based on GUI.
6. If we want to increase open source popularity we need more users.
7. If program corresponds to the user model, it’s successful.
8. We need GUI in windows. (Why? See 6.)
9. We need GUI in unix. (Why? See 6.)

--
Best regards,
 Andrey Anufriev              mailto:digmet () mail ru