Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Nmap GUI

From: digmet <digmet () mail ru>
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2005 19:23:09 +0400

Hello, \Grodas.

Sunday, June 5, 2005, 2:20:05 PM, you wrote:
G> There is a chance that one of the summer of code projects
G> (code.google.com) is going to be the creation of a new nmap GUI.
G> Because of this I think it would be wise to have a discussion about
G> what the community wants from a new GUI.

My opinion:
0. GUI is very useful. GUI is very important. It’s too much increases users number.
1. GUI must be simple_to_use like minesweeper game.
2. GUI must be whole Multilanguage.
3. Related link:
       http://www.joelonsoftware.com/uibook/chapters/fog0000000057.html
       Citation: “A user interface is well-designed when the program behaves exactly how the user thought it would.”

G> When I use nmap I normally have one of the following questions:

4.
Use case 1.
G> Who is on this network?
Use case 2.
G> Who is running web servers on this network?
Use case 3.
G> What services is this client running?
Use case 4.
G> What web server is this client running?
Use case N.
........ ?
What is remain?

G> For me it's therefor important that the new GUI handle this
G> cases in a efficient way.
5. Agree. GUI must handle ALL use cases in a efficient way.

G> It would be interesting to hear about
G> other situations where nmap is used.

G> Another question is what toolkit to use in the new GUI. In my
G> opinion QT4 and JAVA are good alternativs. Anyone have comments on
G> this?
6. Only QT.
6.0. Swing is so slow. All users hate swing.
6.1. QT looks better.
6.2. Java requires the virtual machine.

--
Best regards,
 Andrey Anufriev              mailto:digmet () mail ru