Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: What would we want in a new Netcat/Hping?

From: Andreia Gaita <shana.ufie () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 14:45:16 -0700

On 6/15/05, Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org> wrote:
Excellent points, though there is a possible conflict between two of
the goals.  Having a simple core with separate modules/filters is
aesthetically pleasing, but as Chuck noted there is a major practical
benefit in having nc be a single executable that you can quickly
upload to a server.  So I would suggest making features like OpenSSL
compile-time options, so that people who don't want that support can
easily make a limited version with just the core features, while
people who truly want a swiss-army knife can leave it all in.

Yep, been thinking about that too, people don't want to carry around
lots of modules besides the core executable. There are 2 kinds of
target audience here: people who compile once (or don't compile at
all), and people who mix-and-match compile to get a specific tool with
specific features. I think we can cater for both types if we make the
thing so features can either be included in compile time or added
later as a plugin... either that, or we choose one of the target
audiences and stick with that model :p

Strange.  Those are major platforms, so I would expect to have
received more reports if the problem was common.  But who knows,
people sometimes assume on common platforms that "someone else will
report it".  In any case, if you send me the errors and a platform
description, I'll look into it.  Sending me a patch would be even
better.

Also, try with this unreleased CanSecWest version:

http://www.insecure.org/tmp/nmap-3.82.2CSW.tar.bz2

Cool, thanx, I'll check it out and get back to you. Because I install
minimal systems and add the tools as I need them, maybe I'm missing
something... *going to investigation mode*

shana
gone crazy, back soon, leave message