Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: What languages/toolkit to use for the new GUI?

From: Adam Jones <ajones1 () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 13:34:02 -0500

I have been thinking about implementing the system in python. It has
mature XML and SQL libraries, and also would be a more easy to learn
language for people to write extensions to the GUI client. Any
components that prove to be very inefficient in python could always be
written in C. The only issue with it is getting the python interpreter
on the system. I believe that it is possible to create a standalone
executable that will parse the files without requiring that python be
installed separately.

-Adam

On 6/7/05, digmet <digmet () mail ru> wrote:
Hello, \Grodеs.

G> JAVA
G> + Most computers already have java installed
0. Most computers I'd see havn't java installed for many purpose. (windows, linux, even
Solaris!).

G> + Mature XML and SQL libararies
G> + Fast development
1. Disputable. In my mind java development speed similar to C++ one.

G> - Large memory footprint
2. Yes!

G> - Long startup time
3. Yes!

G> - nmap is written in C

G> C++ and QT4 (all version will be released under the GPL)
G> + Fast, small memory footprint
4. Yes.

G> + Mature XML and SQL libararies
G> + Nmap is written in C
5. Version 3.81 has about 22 classes.

G> - Using C++ can lead to more bugs
6. Using Java can lead to comparable number of bugs.

G> Comments?
8. Qt the only visual lib that has true cross-platform. It's realy work in
ms windows.

G> What toolkit/language does the community prefer?

8. I vote for C++/Qt.

--
Best regards,
 Andrey Anufriev              mailto:digmet () mail ru