Nmap Development mailing list archives

Windows XP / 2003 (0 hosts up)

From: "Jason Komara" <Jason.Komara () cchswest org>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 11:13:45 -0500

fyodor,

I have found a method to fix the issue with nmap reporting that a host is down when nmap is ran from Windows XP or
Windows 2003 Server.  I could not tell you what Microsoft changed in these newest OS's, but I have confirmed that the
workaround works on both platforms.

If you use Microsofts compatability feature, you can fake XP or 2003 into thinking that it is being ran from various
legas platforms... the key being the Windows 95 option.  The only problem is that Microsoft will not let you set this
option on executables located on network shares.  The best way that I've found to get around this was to go right to
the source... the registry keys that get set by running MS's wizard.  Below are the keys & values that will work:

HKCU (or HKLM)\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers\%PATH_TO_EXE% (REG_SZ) = WIN95

That should be it... I am scannin' away on both my XP system & my 2003 server.  While looking for an answer to this
question, I located many posts within forums, but they were all archived, so I could not post a reply.  I figured
sending you this email would be the best method of getting this info out to the community.  Let me know how this works
for you.  Thanks!!

Jason Komara