Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Unknown Fingerprint Submissions?

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 14:18:24 -0800

On Thu, Dec 05, 2002 at 11:06:57PM +0100, R Anderson wrote:
To everybody:
Be careful to not submit fingerprints generated when scanning through
firewalls, NAT devices (on your end!) or load balancers without telling
that in the Notes section. I have seen pretty strange variations in the
fingerprints caused by such things. Yo Fyodor, this should be mentioned
on the submission web page!

Good point.  Also, you should only submit "unknown" fingerprints if
Nmap gives you the submission URL.  If Nmap thinks conditions are too
poor for the type of "pristine" fingerprint needed for the official
DB, Nmap will not print the URL.

If Nmap does give back a guess (as opposed to "unknown") and it is
wrong, please email me the full Nmap output and a description of the
actual OS and I'll adjust the fingerprint accordingly.

Cheers,
-F