Nmap Development mailing list archives

RE: oka...let's try something else ...

From: Emil <emil () needguide com>
Date: 4 Jan 2002 12:10:03 -0800

Additional information.

You can actually change the default port number on your server. For example your website will be 8080 instead of port
80. Your browser client need to specify that you will connect to your website server using 8080, e.g.
http://www.yourID.info:8080. You may apply this approach to other services that run on your system.

The advantage of using default port number, of course, your visitor know it. As we use again the website example, your
visitor simply type the URL http://www.yourID.info without the port number.

To make the story short, you can assign any port number for your telnet, ssh, www, and other services in your system.
The client needed to know this information for them to connect.

Hope this help.

Emil.

       0)(0)      (sm)
---00000---00000---