nanog mailing list archives

Re: Alien Waves

From: Dave Cohen <craetdave () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 12 May 2024 18:11:30 -0400

Mark,

Many/all of these points are fair. My experience is purely terrestrial and obviously both the capacity and economic
calculations are vastly different in those situations, which I should have called out.

However, I don’t think that the optical vendor is really the challenge - I would agree that, generally, spectrum is
going to be available through larger providers that are using “traditional carrier grade” platforms - but rather at the
service provider level. When something invariably breaks at 3 AM and the third shift Tier I NOC tech who hasn’t read
the service playbook says “I don’t see any errors on your transponder, sorry, it’s not on our end” because they’re not
aware that they actually don’t have access to the transponder and need to start looking elsewhere, that’s the sort of
thing that creates systemic challenges for users regardless of whether the light is being shot across a Ciena 6500 or a
Dave’s Box-o’-Lasers 1000.

Dave Cohen
craetdave () gmail com