nanog mailing list archives

Re: Alien Waves

From: Dave Cohen <craetdave () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 12 May 2024 14:35:42 -0400

It’s one of those things that makes a lot more sense on paper than in practice. I’ve found it to be operationally
difficult from the perspective the provider and the user, primarily but not solely because any “co-managed” system is
going to lend itself to finger pointing when issues arise. Even if it makes more commercial sense at first blush to
prefer a spectrum solution over dark or traditional waves, I suspect that factoring in “labor cost wasted over
unproductive troubleshooting” changes the equation a bit. I also suspect that continued price compression on optical
hardware will lead to fewer and fewer situations where it might make commercial sense at first blush too.

YMMV of course and there may be reasons beyond simple commercial models where spectrum might make sense for you, but
I’d urge you to only consider it doing with a provider where you’ve had a track record of operational success working
with them.

Dave Cohen
craetdave () gmail com