nanog mailing list archives

Re: Should FCC look at SS7 vulnerabilities or BGP vulnerabilities

From: scott via NANOG <nanog () nanog org>
Date: Sun, 19 May 2024 00:46:56 +0000

On 5/18/24 9:25 PM, Jason Baugher wrote:
As much as most of us would like to be 100% SIP, it's the big guys
holding us back with legacy TDM networks and lata tandems.

While not a Big Guy, Hawaiian Telcom is actively removing all that old equipment because of energy/maint/personnel/etc costs. It's a lot more involved and harder to do than most would think. OAEE - Old Ass Equipment Everywhere (-: stops migration.

With HT being a private company, I would find it hard to imagine the government saying "Do it now!" without some way of helping finance it. It costs initial money to get to the saving money part and the previous is what's hard to get done; spending that initial money.

This is a netgeek's outside-looking-in perspective.  I am not voice at all.

scott