nanog mailing list archives

RE: Should FCC look at SS7 vulnerabilities or BGP vulnerabilities

From: Jason Baugher <jasonbaugher () adamstel com>
Date: Sat, 18 May 2024 21:35:53 +0000

John Levine said:

It appears that Brandon Martin <lists.nanog () monmotha net> said:
I think the issue with their lack of effectiveness on spam calls is due
to the comparatively small number of players in the PSTN (speaking of
both classic TDM and modern IP voice-carrying and signaling networks)
world allowing lots of regulatory capture.

It's the opposite. SS7 was designed for a world with a handful of large trustworthy telcos. But now that we have
VoIP, it's a world of a zillion sleasy little VoIP carriers stuffing junk into the network.
The real telcos have no desire to deliver spam calls. Everything is bill and keep so they get no revenue and a lot of
complaints.

Mike is right that STIR/SHAKEN is more complex than it needs to be but even after it was widely deployed, the telcos
had to argue with the FCC to change the rules so they were allowed to drop spam calls which only changed > recently.
That's why you see PROBABLE SPAM rather than just not getting the call.

STIR/SHAKEN is more complex than it needs to be, sure, but for the time being it's effectively broken anyway. If you're
in an area where you have to connect to an ancient TDM-only LATA tandem, even though you'd like to do STIR/SHAKEN, it
can't be done over an SS7 call. The call gets to the terminating carrier, who decides in their infinite wisdom that
since it's not signed, to tell their customer it's SPAM-LIKELY. Well, that's helpful. STIR/SHAKEN implementation
deadlines should have started at the core of the PSTN - transit and tandems - and moved out towards the edge. Instead
it started at the edge, we all got complaint, and we still can't deliver calls because the core of the PSTN is lagging.

Jason Baugher, Network Operations Manager
405 Emminga Road | PO Box 217 | Golden, IL 62339-0217
P (217) 696-4411 | F (217) 696-4811 | www.adams.net<http://www.adams.net/>
[Adams-Logo]<http://adams.net/>
The information contained in this email message is PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL, and is intended for the use of the
addressee and no one else. If you are not the intended recipient, please do not read, distribute, reproduce or use this
email message (or the attachments) and notify the sender of the mistaken transmission. Thank you.