nanog mailing list archives

Re: Cogent-TATA peering dispute?

From: "John Levine" <johnl () iecc com>
Date: 17 May 2024 19:28:09 -0400

It appears that William Herrin <bill () herrin us> said:
I don't understand why Cogent is allowed to operate one of the root
servers. Doesn't ICANN do any kind of technical background check on
companies when letting the contract?

You must be new here. There is no contract for running root servers
and never has been.

We can all have our own opinions about the various operators.

R's,
John

For those who haven't been around long enough, this isn't Cogent's
first depeering argument. Nor their second. And they're behaving
unreasonably. I don't know any of the details -this time- but
historically speaking Cogent is behaving badly -again- and you can
take that to the bank.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--