nanog mailing list archives

Re: Help with removing DNS shinkhole FP from Charter/Spectrum

From: "John Levine" <johnl () iecc com>
Date: 22 Apr 2024 19:00:30 -0400

It appears that William Herrin <bill () herrin us> said:
On Sun, Apr 21, 2024 at 6:21 PM Validin Axon <axon () validin com> wrote:
Looking for some help/advice. Spectrum is sinkholing my company's domain, validin[.]com, to 127.0.0.54.

Howdy,

If you can't reach a technical POC, use the legal one. Your lawyer can
find the appropriate recipient and write a cease-and-desist letter for
you. After that, it's -their- lawyer's problem to track down the
correct technical people.

No, that is terrible advice.  In the immortal acronym of Laura Atkins, TWSD.

The only response to a letter like that is "we run our network to
serve our customers and manage it the way we think is best" and you
know what, they're right. It is absolutely legal to block traffic you
think is malicious, even if you are wrong, and there is case law.

Having said that, I suspect the least bad alternative if you can't
find an out of band contact is to get some of the Spectrum customers
who can't reach you to complain. They're customers, you aren't.

R's,
John