nanog mailing list archives

Re: maximum ipv4 bgp prefix length of /24 ?

From: Owen DeLong via NANOG <nanog () nanog org>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2023 14:11:33 -0700

/32s are perfectly valid in the DMS, but there is currently an IETF limit of ~500M of them (the other 3.5B are not yet
released to the RIRs, only 2000::/3).

Owen

On Sep 29, 2023, at 12:54, Collider <large.hadron.collider () gmx com> wrote:

This thread is utter amateur hour. I too would rather /32s be valid in the DFZ - but they're not, for good reason
(worstcase scenario = circa 4 bln. routing table entries - no BGP hwaccel can swing that!).