nanog mailing list archives

Re: MX204 tunnel services BW

From: Saku Ytti <saku () ytti fi>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 08:20:43 +0300

On Mon, 16 Oct 2023 at 22:49, <behrnsjeff () yahoo com> wrote:

JTAC says we must disable a physical port to allocate BW for tunnel-services.  Also leaving tunnel-services bandwidth
unspecified is not possible on the 204.  I haven't independently tested / validated in lab yet, but this is what they
have told me.  I advised JTAC to update the MX204 "port-checker" tool with a tunnel-services knob to make this caveat
more apparent.

Did they explain why you need to disable the physical port? I'd love
to hear that explanation.

The MX204 is single Trio EA, so you can't even waste serdes sending
the packet to remote PFE after first lookup, it would only bounce
between local XM/MQ and LU/XL, wasting that serdes.

--
  ++ytti