nanog mailing list archives

Re: MX204 tunnel services BW

From: Ryan Kozak <ryan () kozak io>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 01:20:21 +0000

According to:
[https://www.juniper.net/documentation/us/en/software/junos/interfaces-encryption/topics/topic-map/configuring-tunnel-interfaces.html\#id-configuring-tunnel-interfaces-on-mx-204-routers][https_www.juniper.net_documentation_us_en_software_junos_interfaces-encryption_topics_topic-map_configuring-tunnel-interfaces.html_id-configuring-tunnel-interfaces-on-mx-204-routers]

"The MX204 router supports two inline tunnels - one per PIC. To configure the tunnel interfaces, include the
tunnel-services statement and an optional bandwidth of 1 Gbps through 200 Gbps at the \[edit chassis fpc fpc-slot pic
number\] hierarchy level. If you do not specify the tunnel bandwidth then, the tunnel interface can have a maximum
bandwidth of up to 200 Gbps."

If JTAC is saying it's no longer optional they need to update their docs.

AFAIK, tunnel services doesn't directly take bandwidth from physical ports, but it does take from the total available
PFE bandwidth. Disabling a port may be required as the MX204 has a maximum PFE bandwidth of 400G and you can
oversubscribe that with the fixed physical ports.

I just checked a production config as an example, note how et-0/0/3 is not configured so the total bandwidth adds up to
400g:

set chassis fpc 0 pic 0 tunnel-services bandwidth 20g
set chassis fpc 0 pic 0 port 0 speed 100g
set chassis fpc 0 pic 0 port 1 speed 100g
set chassis fpc 0 pic 0 port 2 speed 100g
set chassis fpc 0 pic 1 port 0 speed 10g
set chassis fpc 0 pic 1 port 1 speed 10g
set chassis fpc 0 pic 1 port 2 speed 10g
set chassis fpc 0 pic 1 port 3 speed 10g
set chassis fpc 0 pic 1 port 4 speed 10g
set chassis fpc 0 pic 1 port 5 speed 10g
set chassis fpc 0 pic 1 port 6 speed 10g
set chassis fpc 0 pic 1 port 7 speed 10g

Regards,

Ryan