nanog mailing list archives

Re: Routed optical networks

From: Eve Griliches <egriliches () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 2 May 2023 10:01:17 -0400

Hi Etienne,
Below is our (Cisco) definition of the Routed Optical Network. The goal,
metro or long haul or subsea, is to reduce the number of control planes. By
migration TDM traffic using CEM or PLE to the IP layer, you eliminate the
OTN control plane and management. Eventually, when standards are settled
the ultimate goal is to have a single control plane for the network. I'm
not trying to be a commercial here, but you can read more in the resources
section on this page:
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/solutions/service-provider/routed-optical-networking/index.html
HTH,
Eve

Routed optical networking, is an architecture that delivers improved
operational efficiencies and simplicity. The solution works by merging IP
and private line services onto a single layer where all the switching is
done at Layer 3. Routers are connected with standardized 400G ZR/ZR+
coherent pluggable optics.

With a single service layer based upon IP, flexible management tools can
leverage telemetry and model-driven programmability to streamline lifecycle
operations. This simplified architecture integrates open data models and
standard APIs, enabling a provider to focus on automation initiatives for a
simpler topology.

On Mon, May 1, 2023 at 2:30 PM Etienne-Victor Depasquale via NANOG <