nanog mailing list archives

Re: Routed optical networks

From: Jared Mauch <jared () puck nether net>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2023 11:26:14 -0400

On May 11, 2023, at 11:11 AM, Mark Tinka <mark@tinka.africa> wrote:

On 5/11/23 15:50, Vasilenko Eduard via NANOG wrote:

Hi Jared,
Could I make a conclusion from your comments: "only Carrier itself understand the traffic - see many examples in the
text".
I would very agree to this.

I wouldn't say only carriers understand the traffic as much as I would say carrier's traffic is more transparent, and
perhaps, even more readily available.

I just think that it is not relevant to try and lump network and content traffic into one growth pattern. For all
intents & purposes, there are two Internets running side-by-side between network and content. They converge at some
point, but really, they are very different.

And as I’ve seen, they continue to become a bit more divergent.  As someone who has an access network I see where the
majority of my bits go, which is to the content folks.  There’s some to the other part, but mostly people want their
MTV, but since it’s 2023, it’s not MTV, but people want their TikTok, Metaverse, Game downloads, Streaming service,
Email and cloud ramps (enterprise).

- jared