nanog mailing list archives

Re: NTP Sync Issue Across Tata (Europe)

From: Masataka Ohta <mohta () necom830 hpcl titech ac jp>
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2023 18:57:03 +0900

John Gilmore wrote:

     I was also speaking specifically about installing GPS antennas in
     viable places, not using a facility-provided GPS or NTP service.

Am I confused?  Getting the time over a multi-gigabit Internet from a
national time standard agency such as NIST (or your local country's
equivalent) should produce far better accuracy and stability than
relying on locally received GPS signals.

When the (wrong) question is "how to build a stratum 1 server?",
that can not be an answer.

GPS uses very weak radio
signals which are regularly spoofed by all sorts of bad actors:

The question, seemingly, is not "how to build a secure stratum
1 server?".

BTW, the proper question should be "how to obtain secure time?".

                                        Masataka Ohta