nanog mailing list archives

Re: Destination Preference Attribute for BGP

From: Robert Raszuk <robert () raszuk net>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2023 19:59:34 +0200

Hi Jakob,

On Fri, Aug 18, 2023 at 7:41 PM Jakob Heitz (jheitz) via NANOG <
nanog () nanog org> wrote:

That's true Robert.

However, communities and med only work with neighbors.

Communities routinely get scrubbed because they cause increased memory
usage and convergence time in routers.

Considering that we are talking about control plane memory I think
the cost/space associated with storing communities is less then
negligible these days.

And honestly with the number of BGP update generation optimizations I would
not say that they contribute to longer protocol convergences in any
measurable way.

To me this is more of the no trust and policy reasons why communities get
dropped on the EBGP peerings.

Cheers,
R.

Even new path attributes get scrubbed, because there have been bugs
related to new ones in the past.

Here is a config snippet in XR

router bgp 23456

attribute-filter group testAF

  attribute unrecognized discard

!

neighbor-group testNG

  update in filtering

   attribute-filter group testAF

The only thing that has any chance to go multiple ASes is as-path.

Need to be careful with that too because long ones get dropped.

route-policy testRP

  if as-path length ge 200 then

    drop

  endif