nanog mailing list archives

Re: Router ID on IPv6-Only

From: Bjørn Mork <bjorn () mork no>
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2022 09:19:36 +0200

Saku Ytti <saku () ytti fi> writes:

On Thu, 8 Sept 2022 at 10:01, Bjørn Mork <bjorn () mork no> wrote:

Why would you do it differently than for dual-stack routers, except that
you skip the step where you configure the ID as a loopback address?

Because you may not have an option, if you're IPv6 only, vendors (e.g.
junos) may expect you to punch it manually. Of course most of us punch
it manually as loopback0 IPv4 to have more control over outcome.
Question is legitimate and represents change where previously used
mechanisms do not apply, therefore OP is right to ask 'well what
should I do now'.

I'm not used to punching anything, so I probably have too simple a view
of the world.

But I still don't understand how this changes the ID allocation scheme,
which is how I understood the question.  I assume the punched value was
based on input from somewhere?

Bjørn