nanog mailing list archives

Re: ISP data collection from home routers

From: Tom Beecher <beecher () beecher cc>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2022 17:17:37 -0400

Even if you own your modem, the DOCSIS specs require that it be
completely controlled by the MSO, right?

Pretty sure that's correct, yes.

On Fri, Mar 25, 2022 at 4:47 PM Michael Thomas <mike () mtcc com> wrote:

On 3/24/22 12:53 PM, Tom Beecher wrote:
You don't even have to use their equipment. My provider at home is
Charter / Spectrum. I own my own cable modem  / router ,they have no
equipment in my home. Their privacy policy is pretty standard.
Essentially :
- Anything they can see that I transmit they will collect.
- Anything they can see when I use their apps , even if I'm not on
their network, they will collect.
- They will use that information for their technical and business
reasons, whatever they want.
- I am very limited in what I can request that they don't collect or use.

None of this is new in the US. I think more people care about
this than we think, but people don't really have an option to vote
with their wallets.

Even if you own your modem, the DOCSIS specs require that it be
completely controlled by the MSO, right?

Mike