nanog mailing list archives

Re: VPN recommendations?

From: Keith Stokes <keiths () salonbiz com>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2022 18:11:37 +0000

Pfsense on Netgate appliances?

I’ve used several of them, while not for this exact purpose they have done the roles but maybe not the amount of VPN
traffic.

--

Keith Stokes
SalonBiz, Inc

On Feb 10, 2022, at 12:02 PM, William Herrin <bill () herrin us<mailto:bill () herrin us>> wrote:

Hi folks,

Do you have any recommendations for VPN appliances? Specifically: I need to build a site to site VPNs at speeds between
100mpbs and 1 gbit where all but one of the sites are behind an IPv4 NAT gateway with dynamic public IP addresses.

Normally I'd throw OpenVPN on a couple of Linux boxes and be happy but my customer insists on a network appliance. Site
to site VPNs using IPSec and static IP addresses on the plaintext side are a dime a dozen but traversing NAT and
dynamic IP addresses (and automatically re-establishing when the service goes out and comes back up with different
addresses) is a hard requirement.

Thanks in advance,
Bill Herrin

--