nanog mailing list archives

Re: Large prefix lists/sets on IOS-XR

From: Saku Ytti <saku () ytti fi>
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2022 18:04:50 +0200

On Fri, 9 Dec 2022 at 17:58, Joshua Miller <contemno () gmail com> wrote:

In terms of structured vs unstructured data, sure, assembling text is not a huge lift. Though, when you're talking
about layering on complex use cases, then it gets more complicated. Especially if you want to compute the inverse
configuration to remove service instances that are no longer needed. In terms of vendor support, I'd hope that if
you're paying that kind of money, you're getting a product that meets your requirements. Something that should be
assessed during vendor selection and procurement. That's just my preference; do whatever works best for your use
cases.

Deltas are _super_ hard. But you never need to do them. Always produce
a complete config, and let the vendor deal with the problem.

We've done this with Junos, IOSXR, EOS (compass, not arista, RIP),
SROS (MDCLI) for years

If you remove the need for deltas the whole problem becomes extremely
trivial. Fill in all the templates with data, push it.
--
  ++ytti