nanog mailing list archives

Re: V4 via V6 and IGP routing protocols

From: Mark Tinka <mark@tinka.africa>
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2022 21:02:03 +0200

On 4/3/22 13:55, Dave Taht wrote:

Periodically I still do some work on routing protocols. 12? years ago I had kind
of given up on ospf and isis, and picked the babel protocol as an IGP
for meshy networks because I felt link-state had gone as far as it
could and somehow unifying BGP DV with an IGP that was also DV
(distance vector) seemed like a path forward.

To scale the IGP, we only carry Loopbacks and interfaces (backbone infrastructure) in the IGP. Many operators have been doing this, for some time now, as a best pratice.

Customer routes as well as the DFZ is carried in iBGP.

The only issue we have hit with this design is hardware that ships with limited FIB (you're talking 4,000 slots or less). While this can be mitigated with things like 6PE and RFC 3107, there are, now, tons of hardware shipping without this physical restriction. For me, the simpler, the better.

My question for this list is basically, has anyone noticed or fiddled
with babel? It's supported
in FRR, bird, and a very small standalone daemon.

Never heard of it as an IGP until now :-).

Googl'ing:

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babel_(protocol)

To recap that:

"V4-via-v6 routing is a routing technique that allows routers with
only IPv6 addresses (including link-locals) to forward IPv4 packets.
It doesn't involve encapsulation (tunnelling), it doesn't involve
translation (NAT), it just works.  For details, please see

Since around Junos 9 (2007), OSPFv3 shipped with the ability to carry IPv4 NLRI over an IPv6-only network. We never did implement that, as IS-IS integrated both protocols already. But it's been there for a while for OSPFv3.

I don't know when (or if) other vendors implemented the same thing for OSPFv3.

That said, nearly any OSPF house I'm aware of still runs both OSPFv2 and OSPFv3 side-by-side. I guess folk are probably unprepared to use OSPFv3 for IPv4 NLRI.

Mark.