nanog mailing list archives

Re: Rack rails on network equipment

From: Martin Hannigan <hannigan () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2021 19:46:48 -0400

On Fri, Sep 24, 2021 at 1:34 PM Jay Hennigan <jay () west net> wrote:

On 9/24/21 09:37, Andrey Khomyakov wrote:

*So ultimately my question to you all is how much do you care about the
speed of racking and unracking equipment and do you tell your suppliers
that you care? How much does the time it takes to install or replace a
switch impact you?*

Very little. I don't even consider it when comparing hardware. It's a
nice-to-have but not a factor in purchasing.

You mention a 25-minute difference between racking a no-tools rail kit
and one that requires a screwdriver. At any reasonable hourly rate for
someone to rack and stack that is a very small percentage of the cost of
the hardware. If a device that takes half an hour to rack is $50 cheaper
than one that has the same specs and takes five minutes, you're past
break-even to go with the cheaper one.

This. Once they're racked, they're not going anywhere. I would summarize as
they're certainly nice, but more of a nice to have. The only racking
systems I try to avoid are the WECO (Western Electric COmpany) standard.
The square "holes".

Warm regards,

-M<