nanog mailing list archives

Re: Never push the Big Red Button (New York City subway failure)

From: Sabri Berisha <sabri () cluecentral net>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2021 22:25:54 -0700 (PDT)

----- On Sep 15, 2021, at 9:08 PM, bzs bzs () theworld com wrote:

Hi,

People don't suffocate from Halon dumps, I've been thru a couple (not
me personally but staff, I was in my office but arrived quickly.)

What is somewhat dangerous about Halon (or likely more modern) fire
suppression dumps is they create like 90mph winds so you're in some
danger from something like a pencil nearby. Hence, cover your face
with your arms or a coat or similar if one is imminent.

I can speak from experience. Back in the early 2000s I was working for
a small regional ISP that provided colocation services in the same
building as the office was. We had an Inergen system and I had the
honor of being in the room when it suddenly went off without warning.

The noise and air movement was similar to the one time I rode a
motorcycle on the autobahn and hit 200mph. Not fun. Afterwards I felt
slightly lightheaded, but was otherwise ok. Not that my boss cared,
he lighted a piece of paper outside of the room, walked in, and noted
that, after the flames died out, "hey, it works".

Thanks,

Sabri